понедельник, 12 июля 2010 г.

Social Workers Make a Difference

Pat C.

The only time I ever personally had anything to do with a social worker was when my son was a teenager with a very violent temper, and a worker was assigned to him. This person would not listen to anything we had to say. We got so angry that we used to call her Miss "Out to Lunch". Over the years, I have heard and read and seen in movies social workers being portrayed as nosy, interfering busybodies who should be minding their own business and stay out of other people's lives.

Well, I beg to differ because if it were not for a social worker, I don't know where I would be today. The positive, caring attitude and encouragement that I received from this social worker played a major role in turning my life around. I spent several years struggling with a husband who suffered with severe bouts of depression, and trying to cope with doctors who just seemed to ply him with more and more pills instead of trying to find out what the problems really were in order to help him get better. None of them would listen to anything I had to say. It was getting so frustrating for me.

It was a social worker who said to me: "And how are you doing???" After so many years of fighting with doctors, and worrying about my husband (who, by the way, was a wonderful person), someone was actually asking me how I was. This absolutely floored me and changed my thoughts about social workers forever.

With wonderful caring and support from this lady, I was finally doing okay. Sure!! I have relapsed from time to time; however, she always takes the time to talk to me and to listen to what is on my mind. She helps me over the hump again without making me feel degraded or worthless for backsliding many, many times over the years.

I am sure social workers will never become non-essential as long as there are needful people out there who require their expertise in giving counseling, support and a good listening ear. I now know several social workers here and think they are all great at their chosen profession, and I believe what they do is a wonderful gift. And I thank them for sharing it.

S ....SHARES quality time with clients
O....OPEN to discussing your views
C....CARING AND COURTEOUS
I ....INFORMATIVE, recommending books to read, etc.
A....ALLOWS you to get emotional
L ....LISTENS and lets you see that you can do this.

W....WORK hard on helping their clients
O....OPTIMISTIC on helping you make decisions
R....RESPONSIVE and helps you by suggesting things to help.
K....KNOWLEDGEABLE on issues you may have.
E ....EXUDES confidence in their work
R....Helps you to REGROUP your thoughts and ideas

And one thing social workers definitely are not is O.T.L. (out to lunch)! Congratulations on your special Social Work Week. I, for one, am extremely glad for your most noble profession. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Pat C. lives in Southern Ontario, and volunteers four days a week at a hospital and a seniors centre.

http://www.oasw.org/en/publicsite/socialworkweek/swmakeadifference.asp

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий